Sunday, July 25, 2010

Desk Job

What do you do with a beat up freebie desk? Well, several things, but lets focus on what I did to a beat up freebie desk. :) From it's original make-over a few years ago, from wood to painted black...I decided to lighten up a bit and give this ole desk another face lift.Sorry, no good "before" shots, and even these, I had already sanded...Deciding on a color wasn't too hard, I've been on a grey kick for a while, a lot less harsh than black, but it was still a little too plain....I decided to paint the top of the desk with chalk board paint, how fun would that be!!



I let the paint dry and I really liked how it was looking, but I still wasn't satisfied, shocker, I know... so I decided to add a little detail with paint. I was a little nervous, but if I messed up I could always go back over it with more chalk board paint. I decided to personalize it with a monogram, E for Edwards, and continued with a little bubble detail. It was easy, after the E dried I centered a clear glass plate over it and used the eraser of a new pencil to create the circle and I just kept dabbing all the way around the edge of the plate. I created a border too with the same technique, dabbing the eraser in paint, all the way around...



I seasoned the whole top and I was done!





I added some new hardware, hung a cute little thrifted basket that I spray painted orange, with one of my little flowers I've been making, and Logan likes to put his action figures in there too...










A little thrifted cup to keep the chalk in...

Do What You LoveWhat You Do Printable from Make it Perfect


I printed out some free illustrations from Feed Your Soul...matted and framed them, gotta love some free art!






I think this is the desk's final makeover, I might be happy with it for a while! We'll see!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you're inspired!
Furniture Feature Fridays

UndertheTableandDreaming



Visit thecsiproject.com



30 comments:

  1. it turned out so great, michelle! love teh idea with the eraser and plate and think i may try that one soon!! i also appreciate the tip for the prints- i love those prints, so will have to check that out, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute...who would of ever thought to use the eraser like that {obviously you}...pure genius! And I love the free prints...will be visiting there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful transformation. I especially like the monogram detail.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! Love the chalkboard top, and the grey is a nice touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the link to free pics. You're amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! beautiful. LOVE the dots. so smart.

    and the pics looks so professional. and they were free!? amazing! thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the chalkboard top and your very clever design! Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOo thanks! I've only just primed an old desk in my son's room and the paint is yet to be determined...but I'm definately thinking the chalkboard top is perfect. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How neat. I love the E and the dot detail. Such a great idea. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the details! Fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I love the monogram!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always inspired when I visit you. The design on the desk top turned out so well. Great idea. I also love the artwork...going to have to check out that site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love what you did with the desk (and great blog btw)

    do link up your tutorials with us so our readers can find you:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-7/

    new linky parties every wednesday, findable from our home page.

    we look forward to featuring your tutorials for great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle, what a great new look. Love the monogram added. Looks like we were both on a monogram kick. Love the prints you framed, too. I really need to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, love this little space. The color of the desk is fabulous and the designed top is gorgeous! I just adore the framed prints - how cute are they! I really need to check them out. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Is the "Do What You Love..." print also on the Feed Your Soul site? I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are brilliant! (a pencil eraser!) I love it! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute!! Where did you get the pear? It's adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I'm so inspired by the chalkboard desk idea. Especially for a person who loves to-do lists, it is a great idea!
    Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the monogram! The bubble pattern is pretty sweet, too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love your desk...the way you have the decor displayed is super cute too. I would love for you to visit my blog sometime...I have some parties you may be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Michelle-

    You have created a great looking piece. The monogram top makes it totally unique. I love the look and your pencil eraser techinque - No Cricut needed.
    My best - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. aw, it's too pretty to use!! i love it! i'm all about monograms lately - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Michelle, I LOVE your desk. I wouldn't have thought to use grey, but that's why I'm not a design blogger. ;) It is gorgeous! I'm visiting from Beth's Chalkboard Paint party. I liked an older post (#8 on her list) in case you want to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely love the detail of the E and the dots! That is sooo cute!!! What a great idea! Visiting from the chalkboard party.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How great is THIS? I love the idea of using an eraser tip to dot on a design! Totally borrowing that sometime in the future. Thanks so much for linking up :).

    ReplyDelete
  27. The desk looks great! I love the monogram and the design you made with the pencil eraser.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle