Friday, July 16, 2010

Our Vintage Woodland Shelf





This shelf has been around for a few decades, it's been in the family for at least 50+ years. It's a mammoth piece, measuring in at about 3' X 4'. I just knew that the dated stain could be updated with a fresh coat of paint.


I knew exactly where it wanted to hang, and I knew that it would look fantastic with my vintage Mikasa, that Justin got me for my birthday! Isn't it fantastic pattern? Designed by Vera Neumann, a well known artist, turned textile designer, created this, among others for Mikasa in the 50's, 60's and 70's. This pattern was discontinued in 1974, it's called Woodland. When I saw this set at a local antique shop, I really went weak in the knees! This pattern is very hard to find! It is a service for six, so I thought I could display quite a few pieces on the shelf.It seemed like forever to paint the shelf, 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of white semi-gloss. I took off the lower rung with the little bobbers in it, which to me it didn't seem to fit the style of the shelf. I used pliers to pull each one out and then reattached the top piece to cover up the holes. I suppose I could have used wood filler to cover the holes, but using the existing rung was a good way to upcycle an otherwise odd piece. I'm still trying to figure out something interesting to do with the thingies I took out...maybe earrings, or a cool chunky necklace...I'm still working out the details. At any rate I am really loving the piece.
BEFORE:


AFTER:
Now because I plan on using my priceless-to-me Vera dinnerware, I didn't want to run the risk of the plates slipping down, so a quick trip to Lowe's to pick up some tiny quarter round molding. After painting it white I attached it near the back of each shelf to act as a plate stop. Can you see it below?

Now in addition to my regular plate addiction, my newest addiction are stray plates. You know, the one of a kind plates that you always see thrifting...you like it but don't buy it because it's a loner...and I have to thank Christina at Down and Out Chic, she started me thinking about the possibilities of a plate wall...where none of the plates match. I know, I know, this is not front page news, but it just never occurred to me. I always had this mental image of the perfect "Charles Faudree" plate wall in my head, and well that's just not me. A plate wall can be artistic and eclectic, now that's me. I have only found a few so far, but am very patient.



Royal Copenhagen, Mothers Day 1977, love the little squirrel family.

This owl plate is from Limoges, but I couldn't find out very much about it, I would like to find more of him!


My loner plates can live on the shelf for now, I want to get some of those disc hangers for when I start hanging.












Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you're inspired!

Also, thank you for the kind words and support from my post yesterday!

The fireplace reveal is going to have to wait until next week, I'm this close! :)

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!



UndertheTableandDreaming


Visit thecsiproject.com


Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

29 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! and i am now drooling for those dishes- they are simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shelf painted white and I love your blue and white displays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore what you've done here! LOVE those plates too!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! What a great piece! I like it better without that bottom rail, too. It made a real difference taking that out and with the white paint, it looks like a brand new piece. I should look so good at 50+! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's stunning with the blue plates displayed on it. Really a nice piece for the family to hang on to.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whole look. and that owl plate is super-awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your shelf!! It looks so pretty painted white with all your beautiful dishes....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...what a little paint can do. Great redo.

    I love your plates. So vibrantly pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this looks wonderful! I love those Woodland plates, and all the owls are perfect with it. Great idea to paint it white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The owls are a cute mix in there. Like how you took off the bottom trim, didn't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is AMAZING! I am seriously in awe your plate collection is divine and your new shelf displays them beautifully!

    ~Morgan

    Check out Meet Virginia's Wonderfully Wordy Vinyl Giveaway HERE!!

    Meet Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    Thank you SO much for stopping by my blog, I hope you come back soon!

    One Fine Wire
    www.finewire.blogspot.com

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hoo's got the cutest house in town!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun piece! The end result with the blue and white playing together is so awesome. The shelf shows off the plates beautifully, letting them stand alone for all the attention. Nice!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those plates are gorgeous!! Love the shelf too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sigh. . . I love those plates! I can see why you went weak in the knees!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful lines your shelf has! Stunning when paired with blue white and a hint of apple green. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great colors!
    dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your loner plate look like they fit right in! I thought they were part of the set, until you mentioned they were loner plates! Love the new look of the shelf too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooo...love the dishes! The shelf is perfect for them and that owl is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  22. it looks great! come on over and link up to MMMc:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing transformation. I loev the white and your blue dishes are fabulous. Michelle you have amazing talent - simply stunning. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Michelle, Just wanted to let you know I featured your shelf today. Thanks again for joining the Sunday Showcase Party - I greatly apprecite it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Michelle, you not only have great style, you know how to make it happen. The shelf and the plates look beautiful. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great re-do! I'd be honored if you would drop by and link up to Vintage Suitcase Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Umm...can I just say I'm in love with everything you've done? I just (finally) got over here, and I've been reading and drooling over everything! What a great blog! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your old family plate rack! The coat of paint really changed it to a beautiful piece for your plates. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle