Monday, January 17, 2011

More Kitchen Progress

So I'm coming in first place for taking the most time for kitchen projects, I know. It is taking longer than I expected, I mean this is not a large kitchen, what's my problem? While I sit here and try to think up some bogus excuses, I'll show you the progress so far and you have to promise not to be ultra critical. I'm baring a messy, unorganized, cluttered mess of a kitchen, so be gentle.
All oak cabinet lovers may want to step away from the blog, because they do not remain oak. Oak has left the building and gone back to 1994.
This is a good picture showing the cabinets in the 'before' stage as well as getting another look at the Bedford Gray wall color. Honestly, If I had done nothing else this was a great change and I really love it. If you are considering gray, Bedford Grey (Martha Stewart Paint) is my recommendation.


If you remember, this is just a kitchen facelift, not a whole reno, so I'm working with the existing cabs and footprint of the kitchen. They layout is fine and the cabs are in great condition so we are working with what we've got...although the arch panel doors are still annoying me, but I'll deal.
All doors are off, have been primed with two coats, and I've got the bottom cabinets painted and starting on the uppers tomorrow. My Mother-in-law gave up her whole weekend to help me paint and we got a lot accomplished, she was helping me stay out of the why-did-I-start-this state of mind, a big thanks to her for that. I slip into an "I'm overwhelmed" pool of pity more than I care to admit, she's great at throwing me a proverbial life preserver.

Drawers and doors everywhere, waiting for paint, the oak is all gone.
Do you remember when I mentioned adding height to the cabinets? It is such a simple element but has added SO much. Here is the progress on one cabinet so far, it's still in the primer state here, but you can see how it's going to look already. Justin did all the work for me, a carpenter I am not. I found some beautiful corbels at Home Depot that will be going underneath, I can't wait to get those up, oh and the doors (har, har)
We used 1X4's, very inexpensive.
Crown molding, still manageable cost with such a small kitchen
Up close, simple construction. Caulk and putty will handle any flaws. Anyway, like I said, everything is primed now, and I'll be sharing the painting progress later this week {hopefully!}.
The black on the lower cabinets is looking really good. I painted the back door black too and the door to the garage is going to be painted with chalkboard paint, I know Logan will love that.
Thanks so much for stopping by! We're getting closer!

Wanted to answer a couple of questions from the comments.



How did we attach the 1x4's?
I'll try to explain it, I hope you can get a mental image. I'll use the one cabinet on the left of the window for example. The cabinet is 12 inches wide so Justin cut 3 boards (2x4's) 11 inches long. 2 for the edge of the top and one for the middle of the cabinet. The boards are laying on the edge of the top to the wall. He used liquid nail to secure the 2x4 boards and then nailed the 'addition' into the boards. He used a little liquid nail too. Does that make sense? I hope it does, let me know if I need to explain it better.

Did you sand or strip the cabinets before priming?
I washed the cabinets down really well with an ammonia and water solution to get all the grease and dirt off-I was actually surprised at how well ammonia cleans. I did not sand. I used Zinsser 1-2-3 primer that is formulated for shiny/slick surfaces, I bought it at the Home Depot. It is really nice and thick and I did two coats. I did sand in between coats with 120 grit and used a tac cloth to keep everything clean. Honestly, I think that is the real trick, sanding between coats because with what I've done so far the finish is super smooth, without any little paint goobers.

Paint brushes or sprayers?
I am using foam rollers because I don't like brush marks, the 4" rollers are working great especially on the face of the cabs but I am using a small 1" paint brush to get in to the corners. I thought about renting sprayers, but decided the cost wasn't worth it and the because I've never used a sprayer, I didn't want to 'practice' on the kitchen cabinets! :)

What color and brand paint are you using?
I am using the Martha Stewart Paint found at Home Depot. Colors used: Bedford Gray MSL246 (wall color), Tailor's Chalk MSL001 (Trim and Upper Cabinets) Silhouette, Martha Stewart paint (Bottom Cabinets)

Keep the questions coming!


46 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous, Michelle! Can't wait to see the finished product! Amazing how much adding the "top" to the cabinets changes things!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good. Can't wait to see the finished cabinets. I so need to do this in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking great! I love how you've added height to the cabinets. I've thought about doing something similar ... I'm wondering how you attached the 1x4s to the top of the cabs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle!
    I've added you to my sidebar because:
    1. I just love your blog
    2. We're going to attempt a similiar update on our oak kitchen cabs, laminate countertops, and brown vinyl floor.
    I can't wait to see what yours turns out like, so far so beautiful. What a change some paint can make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really making progress. I admire your ambition. It's going to be great to have a "new" kitchen and worth all your time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry...I guess you are in second place because we are entering our 3rd year in renovating our kitchen! My husband is in the Navy so he was out to sea frequently during the first 2 years. He is also rebuilding each cabinet and we are expanding the kitchen so that takes a little longer. It has been "livable" the whole time so it hasn't been too bad, but I can't wait for it to be done!! I can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

    I am your newest follower and would love if you would follow me too. Eventually I will have kitchen photos up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I very much like the way you built up the height of your cabinet, then added the additional crown molding. It adds a lot of presence to your cabinets. I'm very anxious to see your finished project. You're doing wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks awesome! Really loving the white! Can't wait to see it all finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is coming along beautifully! Love the crown molding. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is looking beautiful! I would also like to know how you attached the 1x4s to the top of your cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle-
    It's looking great and I can't wait to see the finished look. Stay strong! It will be worth it.
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! this looks amazing already!...how did you attach the 1x4's to the top of the cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is looking awesome!! You are so patient with this and I too can't wait to see it when you are finished. Plus the details on how you painted everything. Keep up the hard work and I know you will inspire someone out there to do the same thing.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was blessed with these same Oak cabinets. Two questions for you. Did you strip or sand them before you primed them and are you using a paint sprayer or brushes? This looks great and I may be ready to tackle my own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see it completed, I have cabinets similar to those w/ the arch panels and have been contemplating paint them, but am so scared of how it will look! They look awesome so far!

    Love your blog!!!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  16. you're making great progress! It's going to be great! We painted a kitchen in our old house and I remember thinking "what did I get myself into?!?" but I'm so ready to do it again in my current house. can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone! I've edited the post to answer your questions...keep em' coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always have just the doors made to fit your cabinets (or is simple to make Quaker doors but are definitely more of a farmhouse look)

      Delete
  18. Love the "addition" to your cabinets....We have the same style cabinets in our kitchen and I can't stand them. I will have to show your fab work to my hubby:)

    What color white and brand of paint are you choosing for your cabinets?
    Thanks!
    Can't wait to see more progress! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here is how I painted my cupboards....I hired my son who is a painter! He did it during the summer so he was able to remove all doors and drawers and take them outside to sand them. He also set up a spray line outside. This works well if there is no rain in the forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are doing such a great job! I can't stant it! I want to do the same thing but I have a stair project that is taking for ever. I can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this idea!
    I am going to go an convince my husband....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! I did the exact same thing to the top of my cabs and it looks amazing! Also, I'm not sure of your plans, but I highly recommend a coat of polyeurethane after the paint is completely dry. I think it has been the key to my cabs not chipping. I did not polyeurethane my pantry doors and I already need to touch them up. Just a word of advice. Can't wait to see the end results. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just came across your blog today. You have such a warm home. Your kitchen updating is looking great. I am going to start following so that I can get update posts on how it is going.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how I wish I could convince my husband white painted cabinets are the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, you inspire me! Yours is the first, white uppers and black lower cabinets. At least that I have seen so far, that have been brave enough to paint their cabinets in this way. Just what I had in mind for mine but I was scared until I saw yours. You have helped me make up my mind! Thank you so much! I will be watching for the completed project. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks wonderful! Did the same with my oak cabinets. Added seeded glass inserts to 2 cabinets (about $20 each). Best trick was adding batten board to the ends of the cabinets - sold at Home Depot in large sheets - and painted the same color as cabinets - What a difference! Light & Bright.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Was the Tailor's Chalk a martha stewart paint as well?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Michelle-
    Stumbled across your blog today and I am in love with all your projects! We have the exact same taste in color, design and decor. My hubby and I are getting ready to tackle our kitchen and have the exact same layout as your kitchen (we also have the same tacky oak cabinets and foggy gold hardware). It was refreshing to see it be revamped with some paint and elbow grease. It gives me inspiration and excitement to work on our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Michelle, I still don't completely understand how you built up that cabinet, would you draw a picture for me? I love your kitchen and I am so glad to see the final product. I have plans to paint my cabinets soon and really wanted to paint the bottoms a dark color so it is so good to see yours. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want to see how it looks with the cabinets open. I think it would bug me to not paint the insides of the cabinets the same color.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have oak cabnets in my kitchen as well and this is a great visual on how it can look.
    Thanks for sharing, I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Michelle, Same here - I still don't completely understand how you built up that cabinet. Can you provide some more details?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Need more details about how you attached the 2X4s. You said they were 1 x 4s... help!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes.. don't understand your explanation at all about how you attached the 1x4's... please help!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What paint did you use for the counter top...did you have to seal it to make sure there are limited nicks?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, please to check out this post for details on countertops:
    http://sweetsomethingdesign.blogspot.com/2011/02/two-steps-foward-one-step-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very impressive and fine finishing of the molding. crown molding

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the look of the added height. very nice. Question. when you need to scrub or clean the cabinets, does it rub off any of the paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cabinets have been painted for four years now and they have done well; I have not had to touch them up.

      We also painted around the edges of the counter tops and I have had to touch those up a couple of times, but considering all that they are exposed to, it has worked well.

      Delete
  39. Thank you for sharing! Your kitchen layout and cupboards are identical to my place. I've been racking my brain on what to do, because I too hate my doors. Lol I've also wanted to add height to mine but had no idea how to install the wood to them. I have no idea why I never thought of using liquid nail. Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't see a finished product. do you have a picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://sweetsomethingdesign.blogspot.com/2011/01/kitchen-facelift-reveal.html

      Delete
  41. I would love to see the finished kitchen plz

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle