Monday, December 12, 2011

Boxwood Wreath {Tutorial}


By now, I'm sure most of us have the inside of our homes pretty much completed, so outdoor decor is next on the list. I showed you how to make your own Magnolia Leaf Wreath, so now I want to show you how to make your own boxwood wreath.


I have always loved the slightly formal yet traditional look of boxwood, so I thought I would try my hand at it.


The supplies are really basic; wire (18 gauge), heavy duty scissors, 12" craft wreath (Michael's) and boxwood (I harvested from the yard) This is the first time I have used these craft rings for a wreath. If you remember my chain link dresser, this is the type of wreath I used for that project. I had a few left over and thought, what the heck, I'll try to use it for what it was intended for, a wreath. :)
However, if you make this and want to hang it outdoors, I recommend a wire or grapevine wreath, this craft ring is not intended for rain.




Once you've collected enough boxwood, cut them short and gather into a bundle. Use wire to wrap around the end and tighten.



Be sure to use a long enough length of wire to get around the craft ring too. The ring has these convenient little holes and I wired right through those first. The holes allowed for even distribution, and then I went back and filled in with more bunches.



Once I was done and it was full enough, I decided to add red berries and a small bow. Of course you could leave it plain or use different ribbon, the boxwood is perfect for just about any look.


I love how the berries look sprinkled in among the boxwood, it just says tradition to me.


I would like to mention that I like my boxwood a little 'wild' looking, if you want yours to be a little more tailored, just cut the boxwood stems shorter and create tighter bunches.
I created this wreath in under 30 minutes, much, much quicker than the magnolia wreath! Wouldn't these look fantastic on windows? I'm hoping it will last through the New Year.



Thanks for stopping by, I hope you are inspired to create your very own boxwood wreath!






Need a design boost? For advice and guidance on style, contact me!

17 comments:

  1. I love this! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful wreath, I love boxwood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! And I agree, I like the less-tailored look as well. Looks so full.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wreath is sooo beautiful, one of the prettiest I've seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. …....... /)
    ……... ( , )
    ….….|░░░|
    ……..|░░░|☆ Feliz _(♥)_
    …..@|░░░|¸.¤“˜¨Navidad.
    .¨˜“¤|░░ഐ¤ª@“˜¨¨y
    …¨˜“გª¤.¸::¸.¤ª☆“˜¨¨Año Nuevo.
    …¤¸*¸.¤ª“˜@¨¨¨***2012****.
    *♥*.

    lindo!!
    cariños
    c@

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is apparent that I have been missing out on so much over here.
    I need to definitely catch-up! What an amazing blog!


    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so very traditional :)I love how fresh the red and green look, I hope they last through the New Year for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Question, how long do fresh boxwood wreaths last?? Thanks! I made one using this tutorial for a friend of mine, for a housewarming party, and just wondering what she can expect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heather, my wreath lasted about two months before it completely dried out and turned brown. I want to find some method of preserving the boxwood before making, but haven't yet.
    Glad you could use the tutorial !:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most tutorials recommend placing the cut stems in a glycerin solution for a couple weeks ahead of time, which works to extend the life of the wreath.

      Delete
  11. Can you do a post on how to make the ribbon! I love the look of your ribbon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you do a post on how to make the ribbon! I love the look of your ribbon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think this would last indoors....thinking I could make one and hang in my kitchen.....thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it will be fine inside. I'm not sure if it will prolong keeping it green, but it will last for quite some time.

      Delete
  14. Just stopping by to let you know I featured this project on this round-up
    http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/12/50-beautiful-christmas-wreath-ideas-and-insperation-collection.html :)

    Feel free to grab a featured button from my side bar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle