Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Logan's Room: Vintage Camp


If your children are anything like mine, they are 'into' everything. Dinosaurs, cars, Thomas, and a whole host of other toys and characters. So picking a theme isn't always easy. You want it to be fun and functional, with plenty of storage, a place they can call their own without going overboard. If I had to call this current look anything, maybe a loose camp feel?
I've been working in Logan's room trying to get things more organized and editing clothes and toys before school starts next month!! Wow! Where did the summer go???


Logan's room has always been vintage based and when he was super young I had picked out 'Lil' Cowpoke' fabric as an accent. Now that he is older, a little more mature look is in order.
This is a dresser my in laws gave me. I was thinking of painting it, I even feel a little silly showing you, but I didn't do anything to it except polish it! Once it got in here, the light pickled look was great and even seemed to be the same shade as the burlap pennant garland...so it made no changes whatsoever. Shocker.
Two vintage lamps that I picked up (new shades from Lowe's), they add a lot of light and height. I did a collage over the dresser consisting of things I've collected over time, all vintage except for the black frames. I put some of Logan's blocks in the old print block tray, old license plate, a watercolor from the flea market, matted and framed. I made his name banner a while back, it use to hang over the window, but I decided to try it over the collage for some layering. Not traditional kid's art, but I love the mix and there is growing room...I'm sure I'll pick up other things along the way.
We moved Logan into a twin bed (from a race car bed), especially after I found a twin head board and foot board. Literal curbside find. I couldn't believe it. The wood was pretty dried out and washed out and I decided to freshen it up with paint. I kept the linens pretty neutral, i.e. no character bedding. Mostly navy and orange. Vintage camp blanket (you've seen that blanket used in tablescapes :) Navy comforter from Walmart, ticking pillow I made a long time ago, striped pillowcase and euro sham from West Elm.
Here is the before of the spindle bed:
And after three cans of black spray paint:
  I ordered this rug from Overstock and I absolutely love it.
It is described on the website as being southwest, but I think it looks like camp/vintage. I really love how it picks up all the colors in the map wall
I found this orange metal chandy at a flea market in Bella Vista, Arkansas a couple of years ago. It's got to be from the 70's....Justin put it up for me a while ago. It looks pretty campy doesn't it? :)

The only thing I'm waiting on is this fabric from fabric.com, as soon as it comes in, I'll be making curtain panels. I would  also like to find a small round side table to use as a nightstand, something wooden.


Other than that, I think we are pretty close to to done!




15 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle: What a neat room, perfect for a young boy with room to grow. I bet he loves it..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan's room turned out so great! The spindal bed looks perfect painted black. Your mix of bedding and the rug, just make the room. Great job! Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is AMAZING! i LOVE that rug, and the map wall, AND the chalkboard door. oh, and the yellow pops. yeesh. this is a gooood room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the campish theme! I am wanting to make a camp themed guest room and you just gave me a million ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so cute. Now you must see the new movie Moonrise Kingdom if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love, love, love, love, love, love IT!!! You're back! Thanks for the inspiration. It is wonderful.I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! You did such an amazing job! I love the bed, the bedding, well, really everything about it! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have three boys and I am always looking for cute boy rooms! This one is super cute, I love it! I have one idea for you that you might like. I hung a similar banner in one of my boys rooms by using two game board pieces hot glued to push pins. I think they were Parchesi game pieces and gave the banner something whimsical to hang from and a little pop of color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This mix of fabrics and patterns is just so fantastic! What a great boy room. Hope you are feeling well and getting healthy :)
    xoxo, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adore the chalkboard door in the midst of all that mappy goodness

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the cutest room. Love the camp theme and the map wall is perfect. Great light, too. Glad I found your blog through Barb's blog The Everyday Home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually I see I have already found you before since I am already a follower. Glad to find you again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This room is perfect (found on pinterest) - please share, is that rug still something I can get? Do you have the link? Beautiful amazing room!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Laura, the rug is from Overstock here is the link, although I do think some sizes are out of stock:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-hooked-Chelsea-Southwest-Multicolor-Wool-Rug-79-x-99/5767424/product.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was fun to find, because I just ordered that rug for my own master bedroom. And I also have a large map on the wall. So I guess I know now that everything will match :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle